Online dating is a great way to meet people. You can find someone who shares your interests and values, or you can have some fun on the side. But it takes a little bit of work to be successful at online dating. Here are five golden rules you should follow if you want to find love—or just have more fun—online.
Don’t Hold Back
It’s easy to hold back when you’re online dating, but don’t! Not only is it better for your health, but it’s also the best way to get what you want. You should be honest about who you are and what you want in a partner. If certain qualities are non-negotiable for you, make sure they’re clear from the start. Don’t worry if this makes some people think less of you; keep an eye out for those who share the same values as yourself.
While you should definitely text your date to make plans, it’s important to maintain communication once you’ve set up the date. Texting is much more effective than phone calls for keeping in touch during the lead-up to a date and after. Talking on the phone can be awkward and uncomfortable for some people. A simple text message will keep things lighthearted and fun without having to worry about making conversation over the phone.
Make Use of the Filter Tools
You can use the filter tools on the best dating websites to help you find the right person. Here’s a list of some you might want to consider:
- Find people in your area: The best way to meet someone new is by connecting with someone close by. Why not reduce your search area if you’re looking for love and friendship?
- Find people who share your interests: What do you enjoy doing when not on a date? Use filters like “similar interests” or “likes” (which include movies, sports, hobbies, etc.) to narrow down results based on what matters most to both of us.
- Find people who share your values: Values also play an essential role when searching for potential partners. So, you might want to look into it before making far-fetched plans with your date.
You don’t need to go out on Every Date
Not only do you not need to go out with someone who isn’t right for you, but there are plenty of reasons why it might be a good idea not to go out with that person anyway. Here are just a few:
- If you’re not interested in them, don’t waste your time or theirs. You can always say thank you and move on without hurting anyone’s feelings.
- Don’t feel like going out tonight? That’s fine too!
Have Realistic Expectations
There’s a lot of talk about how online dating can open up your options and make it easier to find the right person for you. But there are also downsides. Just because you’re on online dating sites, does not mean that every person on the app is going to be a good match for you.
Do your research with this in mind—the more information you have about your potential date, the better equipped you are to make an informed decision about whether or not he/she is worth pursuing further (and vice versa).