An electrical circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit, where a system engineer illustrates different components and showcases interconnections using standardized electric circuit symbols. In most cases, circuit diagrams come in handy when determining the usage of an electric circuit. Since it illustrates the components of an electronic schematic diagram, a circuit diagram majorly defines the graphical representation of any given electric circuit system.
- All the electric circuit diagrams are represented through the lines that represent the wires.
- System engineers use a multitude of symbols to denote electrical constituents.
- With the help of circuit diagrams, electricians easily understand the wiring, which helps them execute all the wiring-related work efficiently.
As you can understand from circuit diagram usage, it would be pretty complicated if we handover a hand-drawn circuit diagram to an electrician. Instead, it is recommended to go ahead with professional circuit diagram software, which comes with universal symbols. Some of the prominent benefits of using circuit diagram software are:
- With the help of circuit diagram software, beginners can easily create a professional-looking circuit diagram.
- It becomes easy for professionals to understand the components if we use circuit diagram software to create a circuit diagram.
- Modifying and sharing the content of the circuit diagram becomes efficient with the help of a powerful tool.
Frequently Used Circuit Symbols
A circuit diagram is incomplete without the addition of the right circuit symbols. Scientists and dedicated engineers curate these circuit symbols to represent different components of an electric circuit. Some of the frequently used circuit symbols are:
- Cell: Represented by two parallel lines. The long (this side) represents the positive terminal; the short (thicker) side represents the negative terminal.
- Battery: It is represented by multiple ‘cells’ added together.
- Conductor Wire: It is made of metal and is usually represented by a straight thin line.
- Resistor: A resistor is a device that offers resistance to the electrical current. They are represented by a straight line with a zig-zag segment in between.
- Ammeter: The primary function of an ammeter is to record the size of the electric current flowing in wires. It is represented by a straight line, with a circle in between that reads ‘A.’
- Voltmeter: The primary function of a voltmeter is to record the voltage drop between two points. It is represented by a straight line, with a circle in between that reads ‘V.’
One of the major advantages of going ahead with circuit diagram software is to get easy access to such symbols that would help you represent different circuit diagram components.
How to Make a Circuit Diagram Effortlessly?
Traditionally there are two methods for drawing a circuit diagram. The first is an old-age method where an engineer visits the site and creates a circuit diagram in his notebook. This process is considered unprofessional and would even lead to several problems when they have to implement the circuit diagram for the electronic system.
To avoid such complications and bottlenecks, we recommend going ahead with circuit diagram software like EdrawMax. Check out the following step-by-step process to draw a circuit diagram easier.
- Download Circuit Diagram Software: The first step in creating a circuit diagram is downloading EdrawMax. The tools are available for different operating systems and can be downloaded for free from the official website.
Once you have downloaded this 2D circuit diagram software, you must log in to the system to store your files in the virtual cloud storage. After launching the tool, you will see how 280+ diagram types are categorized accordingly. Head to the ‘Engineering’ section, followed by the ‘Electrical Engineering’ sub-topic.
Here, you will see different electrical diagram types, like Basic Electrical, Circuits & Logic, Industrial Control, and more. Click on any of them to easily get yourself started.
- Template Access: If you are a beginner with limited knowledge of circuit diagramming, head to the Templates section on the left of the homepage. The tool comes with a built-in user-generated library.
On the top search bar, look for ‘Circuit Diagrams,’ You will find 100+ circuit diagram templates ready to use. Some prominent circuit diagram templates are Electrical Circuit Diagrams, Closed Circuit Diagrams, Servo Circuit diagrams, Circuit Breaker diagrams, Ammeter Circuit diagrams, and Standard Circuit diagrams. Click on any of these templates, followed by ‘Use Immediately’ to instantly use all the components of that circuit diagram template.
- Blank Drawing: If you are a professional and have a clear set of vision for the circuit diagram, head to the ‘Engineering’ section, followed by the ‘Electrical Engineering’ sub-topic on the homepage. You can click on ‘+’ to start with the Blank Drawing. In the EdrawMax canvas, head to the top bar and select ‘Predefined Symbols.’
You can access all the vector-enabled ‘Electrical Engineering’ symbols from this section, like Analog & Digital Logic, Composite Assemblies, Electrical Instruments, Optical Symbols, and more. The first step in drawing a circuit diagram is to start by adding the dimension or the basic layout of the circuit system.
Start placing the right electrical components from the symbol’s library. Use the ‘Connectors’ symbol to make the connection between these components. Once you have added all the components, start labeling them in the correct order. Ensure that all of your components are connected in a way that results in the right flow of electrical current.
- Customization: EdrawMax gives you a magnitude of options when it comes to customizing your circuit diagram. Import a media file from your computer to add it as a background image. Change the color of the imported circuit diagram symbols. Modify the font of the legends. Depending on your needs, you can customize the circuit diagram system.
- Export & Share: After drawing the circuit diagram, you can save and export it in multiple formats. The tool comes with an extensive line of export options, enabling users to collaborate better with their peers. If you are on a pro version of this tool, you can export the circuit diagram into high-definition graphics format with or without a personalized watermark.
The pro version also lets you export the circuit diagram into VSDX format. Furthermore, you can share your circuit diagram on social media to increase brand awareness. From embedding the circuit diagram to presenting it live from the canvas board, EdrawMax offers a wide range of sharing options.
Circuit diagrams play a very important role in making an electronic system. When creating a circuit diagram, please use all the universally accepted symbols. In addition to this, your circuit diagram should be correctly labeled, which would help others to read it easily. To achieve such results, you can start using EdrawMax to easily draw circuit diagrams. The all-in-one diagramming tool is free to use and offers a wide range of customization options. With the help of free templates and symbols, a beginner can easily go ahead and draw circuit diagrams.